Well, what can I say other than Tracey has truely spoilt us with the Venetian Masquerade project pack she had put together for the month. It’s such a big bundle of crafting goodies that I just had to create two projects. And even then I had some bits and pieces left over.
So my first project is the half mask. I was looking at some of the traditional masks and was inspired by the Jester mask; their hats were made of cloth, were floppy with three points and had jingle bells on the end. So I wanted to incorporate this into the mask minus the bells just because I didn’t have any but if you do, you could always add them to the design.
I made three points by taking some foil and folding it into a triangle shape which I then moulded round and used masking tape to hold in place. I also placed a roll of foil and taped into place across the brow of the mask to make the top of the curve more prominent. I then took some Easy Coat Mat and book pages, and covered the rest of the mask.
Using some Bronze Powertex and kitchen roll I covered the hat section, added some wavy textile yarn around the points and a strip of lace ribbon across the bottom of the points. Then I placed wavy textile yarn across the raised brow in Ivory Powertex. I put a light coat of Ivory over the book pages to dull down the text a little.
I broke apart the really large piece of swirly/ leafy detail mdf, and painted it with Ivory Powertex.
Top Tip: You don’t have to use the mdf pieces as a whole. I gently snap them between my fingers.
I found some little flower beads in my stash which I couldn’t help but add to mdf pieces for extra detail. After painting them in Ivory Powertex, I sprayed them with brown bister and then dry brushed in gold colortricx and varnish. This gave a lovely antique finish.
Then I must have got slightly carried away and forgot to take photos. However my next step was to add the Venice rice paper by spraying with a little water and using the Easy coat mat to stick it in place.
Top tip: You can layer the rice papers on one another to give extra detail. In this instance, I had used book pages underneath so the writing showed through in places to add extra detail to the piece.
Then around the edge of the mask, I dry brushed some Ivory Powertex and then used some Gold colorticx as an accent.
I found a metal element in my stash and an oval glass cabochon. I painted them with Ivory Powertex and then sprayed with brown bister for an aged look and then dry brushed the centre with turquoise powercolor and the metal surround in gold. Once dry, I stuck the whole element down with Transparent Powertex and a little kitchen roll to hold it in place as it was at an angle so the paper acted as a bumper between the two.
I then heavily dry brushed the hat points and the wavy textile yarn on the brow in a mixture of turquoise and moss green powercolor. The wavy yarn around the points and lace detail was dry brushed in gold colortricx.
I admit I felt a bit daunted by this months theme as it was unfamiliar territory for me but as usual pushing outside of my comfort zone has made me really enjoy the project and end result. I have learnt some new techniques and explored areas I wouldn’t have necessarily chosen myself, it’s good to push outside of your comfort zone once in a while. Hope you enjoy creating with this one as much as I have. Do let me know what you think in the comments. Follow more of my work on my page Rosehart Studio. Do share your creations with us on Powertex Addicts United or in The Powertex Studio on Facebook. Toodles Anna xXx