Stone Art Clay Pendant by Abigail Lagden from Powertex

Well, Happy New Year and I hope you had a lovely Christmas.

For my first blog of 2019 I thought I would take a festive left over and re-purpose it into something fun and funky for the new year.

So for this project, I started with an MDF bauble shape, some red Powertex, Stone Art, macrame cord and some texture mats.

2

I began by mixing some stone art clay using the red Powertex and the Stone Art. When mixing small amounts of stone art clay I pour a little Powertex into a yogurt pot, then using an old paintbrush handle, I gradually mix in small handfuls of Stone Art. I keep adding stone art until the mixture thickens up and starts to pull away quite cleanly from the sides of the pot rather like a dough. It can then be turned out and a little more Stone Art worked in by hand to get a consistency a little like polymer clay.

3

Part-mixed clay

4

Clay ready to turn out

Once the clay was the right consistency, I rolled it out using an acrylic rolling pin to a thickness of approximately 3mm and a little larger than the size of the bauble. Then I positioned one of the texture mats on top and rolled the rolling pin over the top to impress the pattern into the clay.

Ribbet collage.jpg

Next I placed the bauble on top of the impressed clay and carefully cut around the edge using a craft knife to make a perfect circle of clay.

7

I have recently acquired some macrame cord and love the simple texture of it when rolled into a coil, so I wanted to incorporate this into my project. To make it sit within the clay I needed to cut a circle out of it, so I used the lid of a fabric conditioner bottle like a pastry cutter to remove a circle of the clay.

8.jpg

To attach the clay, I painted the bauble with Powertex before placing the clay on top.

Macrame cord was then coated in red Powertex and coiled to fit in the circular hole and also to create a border around the edge. The piece was then left to dry overnight.

9.jpg

Once dry, I sprayed brown Bister over the clay to enhance the impressed texture and once this was dry I gently used a damp sponge to remove the Bister from the uppermost surfaces and reveal the red colour again.

10.jpg

Sprayed with brown Bister

11.jpg

Bister wiped back

Finally, I added colour by mixing Powerwax with yellow ochre, orange and moss green powercolour pigments and applying with a sponge.

The last step was to add a piece of ribbon through the hanging hole to make this piece into a beautiful wearable pendant.

Ribbet collage2.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed this project and you have been inspired to get creative this year.

Until next time, here’s to an awesome 2019,

Abs xx

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

About Hochanda