Hello again everyone,
Today I have a tutorial explaining how to make this mixed media shabby chic card.
I love making cards like this as anything goes, there are no rules – it’s knowing when to stop adding embellishments that’s the most difficult!
What you will need:
- Card blank – I’ve used 6” x 6” here
- Co-ordinating patterned papers – I’ve used Sara’s Shabby Chic from Crafter’s Companion and paper from my stash
- Paper doilies
- Paper flowers
- Crystal embellishments
- Tag die-from Gemini starter bundle
- Butterfly die-Sara’s shabby chic from crafters companion
- Balloon die-from my stash
- Decorative edge die-I’ve used the free dies that came with the recent crafters inspiration bundle
- Gilding polish- I’ve used cosmic shimmer
- Kraft card
- Hot glue gun
- Die cutting machine
Here’s what I did:
1. I cut a rectangle of patterned paper and distressed the edges with scissors. Attach to upper left corner of card as shown.
2. I then cut a length of lace the width of the card blank and attach as shown.
3. Next I attached a paper doily to the upper right corner of the card. If you have doily dies these could be used instead. Don’t worry about the doily hanging over the card – this adds to the effect.
4. Next I took contrasting backing paper and die cut a decorative border to the bottom edge. I then attached to the card front as shown.
5. Next I cut a scrap of hessian and pulled threads from the edges. I used hot glue to attach it to the card front so that it will be under where I am going to attach the tag.
6. I cut three balloons from Kraft Card and glued together. I then applied gilding polish and buffed with a dry cloth when dry – this gives the balloon a metallic appearance.
7. I die cut a tag in the same paper as used for base layer. I embellished the tag with ribbon and twine, bows and paper flower, using hot glue to attach. Using hot glue, I then attached the tag at an angle over the hessian.
8. I glued the balloon to the bottom of the tag. I then die cut the butterfly and attached to the card front as shown.
9. I completed the card by adding some crystals to the bottom of tag.