• 12” round cushion pad
• 4 pieces of fabric in two colours, two of each, measuring 15.5” x 12”
• 2 large buttons, I’ve used my Button Factory to cover my buttons in the same fabric.
• Smocking grid, 2” x 60” [you may need to join this, and cut slightly wider than the 2”]
• Needle and very strong thread, plus a 5” needle [or longer if you have one]
1. Sew together the four pieces of fabric to make a long strip, alternating the patterned with plain. Fold in half lengthways and crease to mark the centre line, then iron your strip of smocking grid over the centre.
2. Pinch every other vertical line on the grid, and sew ½” from the line, along 2 boxes. Continue all the way across the fabric..
3. Arrange the pleats neatly and press.
4. Sew the short edges right sides together to make a tube. Slip this over your cushion pad.
5. With a needle and strong thread, catch each one of the pleats, then pull together and secure the thread
6. Repeat on the opposite side. Take your long needle and thread, and sew straight through the centre of the cushion a couple of times, pulling the thread to make a dimple in the cushion.
7. Hand-sew a button to either side and you’re finished!